Easy Moussaka with Aubergine Smoked Dip
(serves 3-4 as main course)
Shiny purply aubergines = good. Finickity salting and layering = bad. Add a big dollop of Smoothish Moorish for a moussaka that’s dead simple, full of good stuff and with a gorgeously smokey twist.
2 red onions, chopped; 1 garlic clove, finely chopped; 1 celery stick, finely chopped; 2 tbsp rapeseed oil; 700g minced lamb*; 1 large courgette, cut into small chunks; 1 tbsp flour; 1 tin whole tomatoes; 1 tsp cinnamon; half tub Smoothish Moorish; 300 ml Greek yoghurt, 2 eggs, beaten; ••• tsp nutmeg; 50g grated parmesan.
*for a vegetarian version, replace lamb with a handful of red lentils, sliced mushrooms and an extra courgette.
- Brown off meat in heavy pan, using a little oil.
- Reduce heat and add onions, celery and garlic. Cook until onion goes a little see-through.
- Stir in flour and cook for one minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, cinnamon, courgette. Season.
- Simmer for 10 mins and turn oven on to 180oC
- Stir in Smoothish Moorish, simmer for 5 mins then turn out into casserole dish.
- In a jug, beat together eggs, yoghurt, nutmeg and half of parmesan with a little salt and pepper.
- Pour over dish, sprinkle with rest of cheese; and bake for 45 mins, until golden.
Moorish Smoothish aubergine smoked dip is divine with chicken kebabs or slow-cooked lamb. Or simply, on pitta fingers as an indulgent, yet healthy treat.