Really Moorish Veggie sausage rolls
Especially yummy for picnics or lunchboxes, these Moorish sausage rolls will please everyone, whether veggie or not. So quick and easy and you know exactly what’s in them.
10 oz (275 g) fresh breadcrumbs
8 oz (225 g) mature Cheddar cheese, grated
1 large onion, grated
3 tablespoons Smokeyish Moorish smoked humous
1 level tablespoon fresh chopped herbs (chives, parsley, thyme, etc)
11/2 level teaspoons mustard powder
pinch cayenne pepper
salt and freshly milled black pepper
1 packet of ready-made puff pastry
- Place all the filling ingredients in a mixing bowl, season well and mix very thoroughly.
- Then roll out the pastry on a floured surface to form an oblong (as thin as you can). Cut this oblong into three strips and divide the filling also into three, making three long rolls the same length as the strips of pastry (if it’s sticky, sprinkle on some flour).
- Place one roll of filling on to one strip of pastry. Brush the beaten egg along one edge, then fold the pastry over and seal it as carefully as possible.
- Lift the whole thing up and turn it so the sealed edge is underneath. Press lightly and cut the rolls obliquely, so that they form little diamond shapes.
- Snip each one on the top in three places with the end of some scissors, then brush with beaten egg.
- Repeat all this with the other portions of filling and pastry. Bake, on greased baking sheets, on the top shelf of the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Then leave them to cool on a wire rack before storing in an airtight tin. Smokeyish Moorish is a great way to add a unique smoked twist to your everyday cooking.